Winners Announced

Op-Ed Competition 2021

Opinion — Say what matters.

We cannot afford to ignore the voices of young people.
We cannot afford to trivialize their demands.
What they say matters.

Those are the words of Luis Alfonso de Alba in the Japan Times. As the UN special envoy for the Climate Action Summit, De Alba was speaking about the frontlines of climate change, but his words could also apply to the importance of youth’s voices in countless local, national, and international issues.

The views of young people today will, quite literally, shape the world of tomorrow.

So pick up your pens, dear writers, and share your opinions with the masses.

Perhaps the most democratic form of journalism, the op-ed is founded on the idea that every person has a voice worthy of a public platform. Tell us what change you would like to see in the world, in your country, or in your community. From the global plight of refugees to education policy in your country to activism in your neighborhood—we want to hear your opinion about something that matters to you. This month, Write the World and the Journalism Education Association are giving you the floor. 

Guiding Ideas
  • MAKE IT PERSONAL: We want to know what you think. It’s always tempting to check out the research and opinions that are already out there before crafting your own response. But before you consider the perspectives of others, carefully contemplate your chosen topic and jot down any ideas that come to mind, as well as any emotions that surface.
  • INVESTIGATE YOUR OPINION: Why do you think what you think? Can you identify the people or experiences that have influenced you in forming this opinion? Your friends? Your family? School? The media or the culture in which you live? Exploring the root of your opinion demonstrates to your readers that you have thought deeply about the issues at hand.
  • BACK UP YOUR IDEAS: Once you have a sense of what you want to say, start collecting evidence. Look at the existing research on your topic, find persuasive quotes from reputable sources, and/or identify experiences from your own life (or anecdotes from people you know) that demonstrate the validity of your perspective.
  • CONSIDER OPPOSING PERSPECTIVES: Imagine holding a different opinion on this subject—what would this counter-argument be? How can you acknowledge this opposing perspective while also demonstrating why yours is the most valid?
  • WELCOME CHANGE: As your knowledge deepens, your ideas will likely evolve. This is a good thing! Be open to your perspective becoming more complex and nuanced.
  • TAKE A STAND: An op-ed is your chance to weigh in on a social, political, or cultural issue. Most essentially, an op-ed asserts an opinion. So be sure to include a clear thesis statement that unequivocally states your central argument.
  • CAPTIVATE YOUR READER: An opinion piece should be a riveting read. Make sure your writing is thoughtful, reflective and clearly structured. Think about starting the piece with a story or anecdote that hooks your reader. Make sure your argument is compelling and watertight from beginning to end.
  • MAKE IT UNIVERSAL: As you share your opinion, keep in mind that your goal is to persuade your audience to listen up. Oftentimes, the most compelling op-eds are both personal and universal. Try sharing an experience from your life that supports your opinion, while also explaining (or showing through examples) how this topic impacts people on a broader scale. 
  • GIVE CREDIT WHERE CREDIT'S DUE: Don’t forget to cite your sources. 

** Check out the sample outline under “Resources” for more tips on how to write a stellar op-ed. 

Forms of Persuasion 
Some readers might be convinced by hard facts and statistics. Others might be persuaded by an emotional anecdote, or a story from your own life. Writing a compelling op-ed often requires looking at the topic from multiple angles—each perspective helping to solidify your argument, while convincing readers to listen up. Here are some different strategies to try out as you craft your argument. You might focus on two or three, or perhaps all forms of persuasion will come into play in your piece.
  • Personal Experience: The writer describes an experience he or she has had.
  • Expert Opinion: The writer draws on the opinion of an expert—someone trained in a particular area, or someone who has relevant personal experience.
  • Example: The writer provides an example that supports a larger idea or pattern.
  • Analogy: The writer compares the situation to another similar situation.
  • Facts and Statistics: The writer uses facts or numbers to prove their idea. Often this information comes from other sources, such as books, newspapers, or websites.
  • Logic: The writer uses reasoning or logic to argue their point.
  • Emotion: The writer makes an emotional appeal to the reader.

Who is Eligible?   
Young writers ages 13-18   

Length   
600 – 1,000 words 

Is previously published work eligible?
Our monthly competitions are designed to get you writing across a range of genres throughout the year, so we encourage you to  write a new work for each  competition, but we will also accept work that has been previously shared with a small, local audience (for instance, a piece that was published in a school journal).

How to Enter 
  1. If you haven’t yet, sign up for a free account for Write the World as a young writer here
  2. Hit the “Start Writing” button above! 
  3. Draft your entry! Hit “Save” to return to it later. 
  4. The first 100 people to submit a draft by March 8 will receive an in-depth review from one of our Expert Reviewers—authors, writing teachers, and educational professionals—that you can use to revise your final entry. The “Submit for Expert Review” button will be clickable if slots are still available—click it to have your draft reviewed. (Note: you can still enter the competition if you haven’t received or don’t want to receive an Expert Review!) 
  5. When you are ready to submit your entry, hit the "Submit as Final" button (You can revise, re-publish, and mark any version as your "final submission" until the deadline.)
  6. Only one entry per person, please. 
Guest Judge 
Naomi Zewde is an assistant professor in health policy and management at the CUNY School of Public Health in the city of New York. She studies how public policies can reduce inequality in health insurance and in wealth. Naomi is also a fellow at the Roosevelt Institute, and formerly a post doctoral research scientist at the Columbia University School of Social Work, in the Center on Poverty and Social Policy.

Our Partner 
The Journalism Education Association supports free and responsible scholastic journalism by providing resources and educational opportunities, by promoting professionalism, by encouraging and rewarding student excellence and teacher achievement, and by fostering an atmosphere which encompasses diversity yet builds unity. 

Prizes 
  • Best Entry: $100 (Our guest judge’s commentary on the winning piece, and an interview with the author will be featured on Write the World’s blog) 
  • Runner up: $50 (Our guest judge’s commentary on the piece will be featured on Write the World’s blog)
  • Best Peer Review: $50 (Our guest judge’s commentary on the best peer review and an interview with the reviewer will be featured on Write the World’s blog)     

What’s Different about Write the World Competitions? 
  • Prizes: The winning entrant will receive $100, and the runner-up and best peer-reviewer will receive $50.       
  • Professional Recognition: The winning entry, plus the runner-up and best peer review, will be featured on our blog, with commentary from our guest judge.       
  • Expert Review: Submit your draft by Monday, March 8 and get feedback from our team of experts—authors, writing teachers, and educational professionals.  

Key Dates 
  • March 1: Competition Opens  
  • March 8: Submit draft for Expert Review (Optional. We will review the first 100 drafts submitted.)      
  • March 12: Reviews returned to Writers  
  • March 16: Final Submissions Due
  • March 26: Winners Announced  

Upcoming Competition
Our Poetry & Spoken Word Competition opens Monday, April 5th.
Stay tuned for more details!  

Writing Guidelines
The power of our writing goes hand in hand with responsibility. Make sure that you’re supporting other people through your writing rather than pulling them down. The types of content that will be removed from the site include, but are not limited to:   
  • Anything that may be deemed hurtful, defamatory or discriminatory in nature.
  • Anything deemed explicit or gratuitously violent.
  • Anything referencing self-harm. 
  • Any commercial posts and/or spam. 
  • Plagiarism (see more at our Writing Guidelines page). 
  • Personal contact information—including usernames on social media or other platforms. This is to protect the privacy of our members.
  • Links to any external websites, with the exception of links to citations as part of an essay, or including links to illustrations or audio as part of a Write the World competition or prompt.
If a writer posts content that violates our terms or goes against our guidelines, we will remove the post and contact the writer when necessary.  Please refer to our Writing Guidelines and site’s terms for further information.

Due Dates
  • Mar 16 - Op-Ed Competition 2021

• Mar 16 - Competition Deadline

Resources

Meet Best Peer Review Winner Audrey Sioeng!

One of the core tenets of peer reviewing is to approach your review with kindness and consideration, in order to ensure the writer feels eager to return to their piece, rather than discouraged and ready to give up. But, as Op-Ed Best Peer Review winner Audrey Sioeng (US) reminds us, giving a kind review does not mean only praising a piece; giving thoughtful feedback that will help strengthen the piece is equally important. As Audrey says, “We all love compliments, but for a writer who is looking to improve their piece, constructive criticism and advice is even more valuable.”

Learn more about Audrey’s advice for her fellow peer reviewers and op-ed writers, as well as her favorite genre to write in!

Read More!

Op-Ed Competition Winners Announced!

At first glance the op-ed might seem like an intimidating genre. But as the entries for our 2021 Op-Ed Competition remind us, it’s the personal and passionate perspectives along with the ability to reach a wide audience and effect change that make the op-ed one of the most exciting genres to write in! As our Guest Judge Naomi Zewde says, “Each op-ed was so good and taught me something new. Congratulations to everyone for participating and a special congratulations to the five finalists whose fantastic pieces I got to read.”

Check out Naomi Zewde’s winning picks!

See the Winners!

Q&A with Op-Ed Competition Guest Judge Naomi Zewde

Professor Naomi Zewde knows the power of a good op-ed: as a researcher with a focus on economic inequality in wealth and in health insurance, she employs the form as a bridge between her data and the general public—creating a vision for change. But you don’t need to be a notable researcher to write a great op-ed; you just need a point of view! As Professor Zewde says, “Stake a claim and get it across powerfully.”

Get more of her tips to take your Op-Ed Competition entry to the next level!

Read More!