Monthly Competitions

TV PILOT WRITING COMPETITION 
Script - Get us hooked
600 - 1,000 words  

This competition is now closed but you are still welcome to respond to this prompt! 

A lot rides on a TV pilot. Like the opening chapter of a long novel, the first episode of a TV series sets the stage for what’s to come—convincing the audience to return for more. But unlike any other genre, TV shows have the potential to span years, capturing our attention week after week, and month after month. As the first episode of a TV series, a pilot has to be self-contained, but it's also the seed of something much larger. Viewers are introduced to characters, worlds, and content whose years-long journeys will stem from the conflicts established in that very first hour we meet them. 

This month, dear writers, get us hooked on a new show. Write a pilot script that gives the viewer a taste of the plot, the characters, the structure, and the tone

Click FIND OUT MORE for details.

Competition how it works

Each month Write the World holds a new competition, developed around a particular idea or genre of writing, such as poetry, fantasy, sports journalism, or flash fiction. Competitions encourage you to dig deeper into the writing process, try out new genres and share your work with a sea of eager readers.

And because a first draft is never perfect, you have the chance to receive peer and expert feedback before submitting your final piece.

What’s Diferent About Write the World Competitions?

• Free Entry and Cash Prizes: The winning entrant receives $100, and the runner-up and best peer-reviewer receive $50.

• Professional Recognition: All three winners will be featured on our blog, with commentary from our guest judge.

• Expert Review: Submit a draft in the first week and get feedback from our team of experts—authors, writing teachers, and education professionals.

Explore both our Upcoming and Past Competitions.