Monthly Competitions

If you’ve a song in your heart, this is the month to sing it to the world. Experiment with this ancient art form that has been around since before the written word. Whether you write a song of love, of protest, a song of hope, or a song that tells a story, we want a song of the time for all of time. So this month, write a song of your own—and record it if you’d like! We’ll select a winner for best lyrics and best performance. 
Competition how it works

Each month Write the World holds a new competition, developed around a particular idea or genre of writing, such as poetry, fantasy, sports journalism, or flash fiction. Competitions encourage you to dig deeper into the writing process, try out new genres and share your work with a sea of eager readers.

And because a first draft is never perfect, you have the chance to receive peer and expert feedback before submitting your final piece.

What’s Different About Write the World Competitions?

• Free Entry and Cash Prizes: The winning entrant receives $100, and the runner-up and best peer-reviewer receive $50.

• Professional Recognition: All three winners will be featured on our blog, with commentary from our guest judge.

• Expert Review: Submit a draft in the first week and get feedback from our team of experts—authors, writing teachers, and education professionals.

Explore both our Upcoming and Past Competitions.