Monthly Competitions

Perhaps the most democratic form of journalism, the op-ed is founded on the idea that every person has a voice worthy of a public platform.  In that spirit, we invite you to pick up a pen and share your opinion with the masses. What change would you like to see in the world? In your country? In your community? From climate change to national politics to your school’s culture - we want to hear your opinion about something that matters to you. 

GENRE: Opinion
Competition how it works

Each month Write the World holds a new competition, developed around a particular idea or genre of writing, such as poetry, fantasy, sports journalism, or flash fiction. Competitions encourage you to dig deeper into the writing process, try out new genres and share your work with a sea of eager readers.

And because a first draft is never perfect, you have the chance to receive peer and expert feedback before submitting your final piece.

What’s Diferent About Write the World Competitions?

• Free Entry and Cash Prizes: The winning entrant receives $100, and the runner-up and best peer-reviewer receive $50.

• Professional Recognition: All three winners will be featured on our blog, with commentary from our guest judge.

• Expert Review: Submit a draft in the first week and get feedback from our team of experts—authors, writing teachers, and education professionals.

Explore both our Upcoming and Past Competitions.