About Us

Our Mission

Write the World is dedicated to improving the writing of high school students through a global online community and guided interactive process. Young writers are empowered to develop their voices, refine their editing skills, and publish on an international platform. Write the World helps students develop the writing strategies and communication tools essential for success in school, career, and life.

Listen to our founder, David Weinstein, talk about Write the World's mission and vision on this Harvard Graduate School of Education EdCast.

Our Team

Founded in 2012 by David Weinstein, Write the World has expanded into a small team of writers, educators and entrepreneurs. We work closely with high school students and teachers and are always looking for new members for our student and teacher advisory boards (see details below). If you are interested in joining our dynamic startup in any capacity, please get in touch!!

David Weinstein

Chief Executive Officer

David

David Weinstein is the founder and CEO of Write the World, which he developed as a Senior Fellow at the Advanced Leadership Initiative at Harvard University. With a passion for education, he has served as a trustee of Boston College, Bryant University, Belmont Hill School, Fessenden School, Harvard Hillel, John F. Kennedy Library Foundation, and the US Supreme Court Historical Association. David was a senior executive and corporate lawyer at Fidelity Investments, managing the human resources, legal, real estate, compliance, security, audit, and accounting functions. David is a Fellow of the American Academy of Arts & Sciences. He is a graduate of Boston University and Boston College Law School.

Clare McFadden

Executive Director

Clare

Clare McFadden manages and oversees the Write the World website, community, and programs. Clare has worked in Arts Education with children, young people, and communities in both Australia and the United States. She is also an author and illustrator. Her first book, "The Flying Orchestra" was awarded the 2011 Children's Book Council of Australia Crichton Award, was selected as one of the "50 Books You Can't Put Down" as part of the Australian Government's Get Reading Campaign, was adapted for the stage as the headlining work at the 'Out of the Box' Festival and listed as one of the Australian Booksellers’ Association's 50 Favourite Children’s Books. Clare was a Teaching Fellow for the Writing Workshop course at Harvard University and is working on her second book. Clare holds a Master's Degree in Education (Arts in Education) from Harvard University. Clare would love to hear from you if you'd like to know more about Write the World, or have suggestions for what you'd like to see on our website clare@writetheworld.com

Steve Mesmer

Chief Operating Officer

Steve

With a deep passion for enhancing student achievement, Steve Mesmer is responsible for overseeing Write the World’s technical operations and support. Starting his education career as a middle and high school teacher, Steve left the classroom captivated by the potential of technology to accelerate student learning. Since then he has served in senior management positions at Computer Curriculum Corporation, Pearson Education, CTB/McGraw-Hill and Questar Assessments, developing highly-effective learning management systems, online state-aligned curriculum, teacher professional development and student assessments used by K-12 educational organizations in the United States and abroad. Steve earned a BA in Marine Biology and Environmental Studies from the University of California at Santa Barbara and his Secondary Teaching Credential from San Francisco State University.

Michelle Billie Fitzpatrick

Chief Learning Strategist

Billie

Billie, a founding member of Write the World, is a writer, educator, and fifteen-year publishing professional. For Write the World, she helped to design the underlying curriculum of the website and continues to work closely with educators, leading professional development and training. She began her career as a writing teacher, helping to launch the Writers in the Schools program (Houston) and has also taught writing at Harvard Graduate School of Education and University of Houston, among other colleges. She also served as an educational consultant to CAST, Inc, where she has designed UDL curriculum and facilitated online professional development courses. As a ghostwriter and book collaborator, she has co-authored over forty books in both fiction and nonfiction. She earned an Ed.M. in Mind, Brain and Education from Harvard Graduate School of Education, a MA in Literature & Creative Writing from the University of Houston, and a BA in English and French from Rice University.

Liza Cochran

Education and Outreach Director

Liza

Liza Cochran stewards the education vision at Write the World, working with community members to develop innovative writing curriculum and programming. A longtime educator and writer, Liza has designed and implemented writing curriculum in high schools, colleges, and community centers across the US, including the Colorado Rocky Mountain School, Emerson College, and Grub Street Writing Center. Liza holds a Bachelor’s degree from Brown University, where she studied writing, education, and environmental science. You can find her work in the Colorado Review, Gettysburg Review, and Fifth Wednesday Journal. Liza would love to hear from you if you’re curious about Write the World, or have suggestions for what you'd like to see on our platform: liza@writetheworld.com

Jen Minotti

Community & Development Manager

Jen

Jen Minotti brings over 20 years of experience in communications, instructional technology & media, educational research, and writing to Write the World, where she passionately supports a vibrant community of students and educators through cultivating positive learning experiences. For 17 years, Jen worked at Education Development Center (EDC) in a variety of technology, research and management roles for projects that focused on education, health and human development. In addition to her work at WtW, Jen is a Visiting Artist at the Center for Women's Health and Human Rights at Suffolk University, Founder of the Women’s Writing Circle, and Co-Creator of the World's Very First Gratitude Parade. Jen is a graduate of Boston University (B.S.) and Columbia University (M.A., M.Ed) and holds certificates in Whole Person Positive Psychology and Distance Education. Jen loves fostering relationships with current and prospective members, so don’t hesitate to contact her any time at: jen@writetheworld.com

Davina Dukuly

Digital Marketing Director

Davina

As Digital Marketing Director, Davina Dukuly is passionate about making meaningful connections with educators, teachers, and of course, young writers. Davina is committed to making Write the World’s digital space interactive and inviting – where users can connect with like-minded writers from all over the globe. Davina has worked at a New England public relations firm where she demonstrated the power of social media as a marketing tool. She is an active member of the greater Boston arts community, working on films such as “Its Not Funny Anymore” and as Press Liaison at the Independent Film Festival of Boston. A graduate of Bates College, where she studied humanities and social sciences, Davina is dedicated to making the arts accessible to young people in all corners of the world.

Claudine Fernandez

Education Representative - Singapore

Claudine

Claudine Fernandez holds an Arts in Education Master's Degree from the Harvard Graduate School of Education and a B.A. (Honours) Degree in English Literature from the National University of Singapore. She is a former Ministry of Education teacher and has been teaching English and Literature since 2007 in Singapore. She is currently teaching the International Baccalaureate (IB) Program at an independent school. In addition, she writes narrative non-fiction and human-interest stories and is the author of the recently published children’s activity book, “Every Child’s Guide to Write Away”. She is the founder of Artistic Strategies, an educational organization that grooms young writers in Singapore through the arts. As an Education Representative of Write the World, Claudine establishes partnerships with and promotes the writing platform to stakeholders in Singapore.

Melissa De Silva

Education Ambassador - Singapore

Mdesilva

Melissa promotes awareness about Write the World in Singapore, seeking to form partnerships and connections with like-minded people and organizations who are passionate about young writers and their work. She is the author of Others’ is Not a Race, a genre-blending collection that explores Eurasian culture and identity. In her 15 years in Singapore’s publishing industry, she has worked as a journalist and an editor. Her Bachelor's degree in English Literature is from the National University of Singapore. Melissa is currently working on a historical fiction novel. She would love to hear from you if you'd like to know more about Write the World, or if you would like to explore ways of working together. Melissa can be contacted at: melissa@writetheworld.com

Michael Lydon

Writer, Musician and Write the World Columnist

Lyndon

Michael Lydon is a writer and musician who lives in New York City. Author of many books, among them Rock Folk, Boogie Lightning, Ray Charles: Man and Music, and Writing and Life. A founding editor of Rolling Stone, Lydon has written for many periodicals as well, the Atlantic Monthly, New York Times, and Village Voice.

He is also a songwriter and playwright and, with Ellen Mandel, has composed an opera, Passion in Pigskin. A Yale graduate, Lydon is a member of ASCAP, AFofM local 802, and on the faculty of St. John’s University.

Emily Reeves

Junior Reviewer and Editor

Emily

Emily Reeves is a junior at the University of Tennessee at Chattanooga, pursuing a Marketing degree. As an ex-English major, she still enjoys reading and writing, and you'll often find her doing one of the two, while sipping a cup of tea. In her role as Vice President of her university's writing society, Emily works to bring authors onto campus and into the wider community, in an effort to support the local literary community. She is an advocate for the protection of creative works, which has sparked her interest in intellectual property law. Emily first came to Write the World as a student writer, and she is committed to ensuring other young writers enjoy and gain insight from the community, just like she did!

Teacher Advisory Board

We work with a group of teachers from around the world to ensure that the website is responsive to the needs and ideas of educators. Teachers give regular feedback on the site, and are a most valued part of the Write the World community. Please get in touch with us if you are an educator interested in joining the Advisory Board: clare@writetheworld.com

Student Consultants

Young writers have played an essential role in shaping our ever-evolving website. Clare and Liza work with a group of students who offer regular feedback on prompts, design, and future Write the World offerings. If you're interested in joining our fabulous team of Student Consultants, we'd love to hear from you: liza@writetheworld.com or clare@writetheworld.com

Peer Review Ambassadors

Four times a year, we recruit a new team of Peer Review Ambassadors to offer regular reviews on the site. Our Ambassadors not only offer their peers invaluable writing support, but help shape the culture of feedback within the entire community. Please let us know if you’re interested in becoming a Peer Review Ambassador: liza@writetheworld.com

Meet our current ambassadors:

Abanerjee
Aaliyah Banerjee

The one thing that I can never be a stranger to is writing. I love all forms of writing, but poetry and fiction are my favorites. In January 2017, my first poetry compilation was published—Miss Conceptions: Poetic expressions of a young girl. I do most of my writing online, and I run two writing blogs. I lived in India before moving to Round Rock City, Texas.

In addition to writing, I love reading very much. I also dance, and do athletics. I look forward to reading pieces by other young writers and offering valuable feedback.

Jbarrett
Jacob Barrett

Hi, I'm Jacob! I'm a composer, lyricist, singer, songwriter and musician from NZ. I have been writing and making music since I was seven, and while I like to think I've grown better since then, what I am sure of is that I love music. Music just speaks to the soul, it is the perfect synergy of sound (and sometimes words) that I think speaks to people on a level that can be personal, or fun, or really whatever you want it to be! I am so excited to become a peer review ambassador, and I can't wait to start reviewing songs and lyrics, and even stories or articles. It's going to be really awesome to start looking at all the writing that you guys are doing these days, and I hope that through my reviews we can help each other to become better writers.

Aharrison
Antonia Harrison

I am a 17 year old writer, journalist, activist, and musician who is obsessed with music, art, theatre, literature and politics. I have a million favorite people but a few are Shostakovich, du Pre, Camus, Stendhal, Balzac, Defoe, Monbiot, Benn, Kendrick Lamar, Bosch, Marx, Miles Davis, Chekhov, Giotto, Waugh and Kafka. Living consciously and ethically is the most important thing you can do; caring about things is what makes you a good person.

Phoebe
Phoebe Lease

Phoebe Lease is a recent high school graduate from North Carolina and can't wait to attend college in Massachusetts this fall. She found Write the World early on in high school and has loved it ever since. She enjoys being a student reviewer and gaining inspiration from her peers. Her other hobbies include thrift shopping, reading music reviews, and trying to make 80's fashion trends cool again. She is excited about reviewing great pieces on WTW!

Mmills
Maggie Mills

My name is Maggie Mills and I am a 15-year-old high school sophomore. I live in Cleveland, Ohio, with my parents, sister Annie, and dog McGuffin. I am an obsessive reader, and if I’m not reading, I’m probably writing. I play for my school’s golf team, participate in debate, and love playing the piano.

Rwhitehouse
Ruby Whitehouse

I’m Ruby and I live in a quiet village in Norfolk, England. Most of my time is spent on the internet and coincidentally it is the reason I started writing. I am happiest when I am creating using words and I am excited to see where it might take me. Besides writing, I enjoy sewing, baking, and netball. At the minute, I am studying German and in the future, I would like to be able to communicate with people worldwide. I would love to work in the fashion industry when I’m older—whether that’s designing clothes or writing about them in Vogue.

Acknowledgments

Write the World is so appreciative of everyone who contributes to our global community. We would like to give a special thanks to:

• Lovell McIlwain and the team at no.inc

• Our Educator Advisory Board

• Our Student Consultants

• and of course, all our wonderful young writers!