About Us

Our Mission

Write the World is dedicated to improving the writing of high school students through a global online community and guided interactive process. Young writers are empowered to develop their voices, refine their editing skills, and publish on an international platform. Write the World helps students develop the writing strategies and communication tools essential for success in school, career, and life.

Watch our founder, David Weinstein, talk about the ways Write the World empowers young writers on this Harvard Advanced Leadership Initiative video.

Our Team

Founded in 2012 by David Weinstein, Write the World has expanded into a small team of writers, educators and entrepreneurs. We work closely with high school students and teachers and are always looking for new members for our student and teacher advisory boards (see details below). If you are interested in joining our dynamic startup in any capacity, please get in touch!!

David Weinstein

Chief Executive Officer

David Weinstein is the founder and CEO of Write the World, which he developed as a Senior Fellow at the Advanced Leadership Initiative at Harvard University. With a passion for education, he has served as a trustee of Boston College, Bryant University, Belmont Hill School, Fessenden School, Harvard Hillel, John F. Kennedy Library Foundation, and the US Supreme Court Historical Association. David was a senior executive and corporate lawyer at Fidelity Investments, managing the human resources, legal, real estate, compliance, security, audit, and accounting functions. David is a Fellow of the American Academy of Arts & Sciences. He is a graduate of Boston University and Boston College Law School.

Clare McFadden

Executive Director

Clare McFadden manages and oversees the Write the World website, community, and programs. Clare has worked in Arts Education with children, young people, and communities in both Australia and the United States. She is also an author and illustrator. Her first book, "The Flying Orchestra" was awarded the 2011 Children's Book Council of Australia Crichton Award, was selected as one of the "50 Books You Can't Put Down" as part of the Australian Government's Get Reading Campaign, was adapted for the stage as the headlining work at the 'Out of the Box' Festival and listed as one of the Australian Booksellers’ Association's 50 Favourite Children’s Books. Clare was a Teaching Fellow for the Writing Workshop course at Harvard University and is working on her second book. Clare holds a Master's Degree in Education (Arts in Education) from Harvard University. Clare would love to hear from you if you'd like to know more about Write the World, or have suggestions for what you'd like to see on our website clare@writetheworld.com

Steve Mesmer

Chief Operating Officer

With a deep passion for enhancing student achievement, Steve Mesmer is responsible for overseeing Write the World’s technical operations and support. Starting his education career as a middle and high school teacher, Steve left the classroom captivated by the potential of technology to accelerate student learning. Since then he has served in senior management positions at Computer Curriculum Corporation, Pearson Education, CTB/McGraw-Hill and Questar Assessments, developing highly-effective learning management systems, online state-aligned curriculum, teacher professional development and student assessments used by K-12 educational organizations in the United States and abroad. Steve earned a BA in Marine Biology and Environmental Studies from the University of California at Santa Barbara and his Secondary Teaching Credential from San Francisco State University.

Clare McMillan

Director of Sales

Clare McMillan oversees Write the World’s business development efforts. Clare started her career as a middle and high school teacher and has nearly 15 years of experience working as an educational sales and marketing professional for organizations such as Pearson and Follett, where she oversaw global sales education efforts and sold educational management, STEM, SEL, school improvement and professional development solutions. Clare is deeply interested in the writing process, specifically how writing and literature shape thinking and cultivate empathy. She is passionate about programming that empowers students to foster their unique interests and discover how they might contribute meaningfully to our world. In her spare time, you will find Clare spending time with her family and writing children’s stories about meatballs, Sasquatches and other fascinating characters you never knew existed.

If you are interested in learning more about Write the World’s programming and how you can empower your students to write well and publish on a global platform, please contact Clare at: mcmillan.clare@writetheworld.com

Michelle Billie Fitzpatrick

Chief Learning Strategist

Billie, a founding member of Write the World, is a writer, educator, and fifteen-year publishing professional. For Write the World, she helped to design the underlying curriculum of the website and continues to work closely with educators, leading professional development and training. She began her career as a writing teacher, helping to launch the Writers in the Schools program (Houston) and has also taught writing at Harvard Graduate School of Education and University of Houston, among other colleges. She also served as an educational consultant to CAST, Inc, where she has designed UDL curriculum and facilitated online professional development courses. As a ghostwriter and book collaborator, she has co-authored over forty books in both fiction and nonfiction. She earned an Ed.M. in Mind, Brain and Education from Harvard Graduate School of Education, a MA in Literature & Creative Writing from the University of Houston, and a BA in English and French from Rice University.

Listen as Billie describes the many benefits of writing in an online community in Episode Seven of Turnitin’s “The Written Word.”

Liza Cochran

Education and Outreach Director

Liza Cochran stewards the education vision at Write the World, working with community members to develop innovative writing curriculum and programming. A longtime educator and writer, Liza has designed and implemented writing curriculum in high schools, colleges, and community centers across the US, including the Colorado Rocky Mountain School, Emerson College, and Grub Street Writing Center. Liza holds a Bachelor’s degree from Brown University, where she studied writing, education, and environmental science, and a Masters in Fine Arts degree from Emerson College, where she studied creative writing. You can find her work in the Colorado Review, Gettysburg Review, and Fifth Wednesday Journal. Liza would love to hear from you if you’re curious about Write the World, or have suggestions for what you'd like to see on our platform: liza@writetheworld.com

Davina Dukuly

Digital Marketing Director

As Digital Marketing Director, Davina Dukuly is passionate about making meaningful connections with educators, teachers, and of course, young writers. Davina is committed to making Write the World’s digital space interactive and inviting – where users can connect with like-minded writers from all over the globe. Davina has worked at a New England public relations firm where she demonstrated the power of social media as a marketing tool. She is an active member of the greater Boston arts community, working on films such as “Its Not Funny Anymore” and as Press Liaison at the Independent Film Festival of Boston. A graduate of Bates College, where she studied humanities and social sciences, Davina is dedicated to making the arts accessible to young people in all corners of the world.

Anna Williams

Community Engagement Director

Anna Williams helps cultivate and support the Write the World community of young writers, alumni, and teachers. Before joining Write the World, Anna worked at the Boston Public Library as a key member of the marketing and communications team and served as the editorial assistant at the New England Quarterly. She earned a BA in Creative Writing and History from the University of Wisconsin-Madison and a MA in Public History from Northeastern University. She is passionate about reading, writing, and the arts. Anna would love to hear from you! If you'd like to know more about Write the World or have suggestions for what you'd like to see on our website, email anna@writetheworld.com

Brittany Collins

Teaching and Learning Coordinator

Brittany creates and supports educational programming and publications at Write the World while working directly with students, teachers, and partners to support their use of the platform. She holds a B.A. in English and Education from the University of Massachusetts, Amherst, and has published over 20 articles in the genres of creative nonfiction and education journalism, gaining publicity from Arianna Huffington, Gloria Steinem, Ms. Magazine, and the New York Times. Brittany is passionate about Writing Across the Curriculum (WAC), inquiry-based learning, and STEM to STE(A)M arts integration, publishing interactive, story-based curricula in partnership with PBS Learning Media grounded in the latter.

To share your thoughts or questions about Write the World, you can reach Brittany at: brittany@writetheworld.com. She would love to hear from you!

Melissa De Silva

Education Ambassador - Singapore

Melissa promotes awareness about Write the World in Singapore, seeking to form partnerships and connections with like-minded people and organizations who are passionate about young writers and their work. Her book of essays, Others’ is Not a Race, a genre-blending collection that explores Eurasian culture and identity, won the 2018 Singapore Literature Prize in the English Creative Nonfiction category. In her 15 years in Singapore’s publishing industry, she has worked as a journalist and an editor. Her Bachelor's degree in English Literature is from the National University of Singapore. Melissa is currently working on a historical fiction novel. She would love to hear from you if you'd like to know more about Write the World, or if you would like to explore ways of working together. Melissa can be contacted at: melissa@writetheworld.com

Eunice Tan

Education Ambassador - Singapore

Eunice started out teaching Literature and English in Singapore before moving to Japan to teach English as a Foreign Language. In Japan, she developed an interest in how second languages are acquired and how English is perceived globally. Now back in Singapore, she teaches academic writing at Nanyang Technological University and assists Singapore’s teachers in using Write the World’s platform and resources in their lessons. Eunice has a Bachelor’s in Literature from the National University of Singapore and a Master of Arts in Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages (TESOL) from the University of Manchester. She enjoys writing about education and living in different cultures. You can reach Eunice at: eunice@writetheworld.com

Lori Pelliccia

Site Reviewer and Moderator

Lori enjoys sharing her lifelong love for reading and writing with students and young writers. As a middle school and high school English teacher, Lori incorporates creative writing into her classes and always enjoys reading books that her students recommend. After teaching for nine years in independent schools in Virginia and Massachusetts, Lori continues to teach online today. She holds a Bachelor of Science in Secondary Education for English from The Pennsylvania State University, and a Master of Fine Arts in Writing for Children and Young Adults from Vermont College of Fine Arts. At Write the World, Lori loves seeing students from all over the world share their writing and their ideas within a supportive environment.

Lisa Hiton

Editorial Associate

Lisa Hiton holds an MFA in Poetry from Boston University and a M.Ed. in Arts in Education from Harvard University. She is an Editorial Associate at Write the World, where she writes two monthly blogs and provides expert reviews for student work. Her blog, "Reading Like a Writer", offers readers a glance at craft books in various writing genres with reading and writing prompts to pair. "The Write Place" helps young and emerging writers engage in habits of mind and heart that lend themselves to a writer's life.

Michael Lydon

Writer, Musician and Write the World Columnist

Michael Lydon is a writer and musician who lives in New York City. Author of many books, among them Rock Folk, Boogie Lightning, Ray Charles: Man and Music, and Writing and Life. A founding editor of Rolling Stone, Lydon has written for many periodicals as well, the Atlantic Monthly, New York Times, and Village Voice.

He is also a songwriter and playwright and, with Ellen Mandel, has composed an opera, Passion in Pigskin. A Yale graduate, Lydon is a member of ASCAP, AFofM local 802, and on the faculty of St. John’s University.

Teacher Advisory Board

We work with a group of teachers from around the world to ensure that the website is responsive to the needs and ideas of educators. Teachers give regular feedback on the site, and are a most valued part of the Write the World community. Please get in touch with us if you are an educator interested in joining the Advisory Board: clare@writetheworld.com

Student Consultants

Young writers have played an essential role in shaping our ever-evolving website. Clare and Liza work with a group of students who offer regular feedback on prompts, design, and future Write the World offerings. If you're interested in joining our fabulous team of Student Consultants, we'd love to hear from you: liza@writetheworld.com or clare@writetheworld.com

Expert Reviewers

Our Expert Reviewers are a group of educators and writers who provide feedback on our young writers' monthly competition drafts. This personalized feedback gives our young writers the opportunity to revise and polish their draft before their final submission. Expert Reviewers also assist with the competition shortlisting process. If you are interested in finding out more about Expert Review at Write the World, please contact liza@writetheworld.com

Tarah Connolly

Tarah has always had a propensity for words and for working together, so it is a natural fit for her to support the Write the World community as an Expert Reviewer. After earning degrees from UC Berkeley in Linguistics and Psychology, Tarah began her career in museum education, and currently, she is the primary curriculum writer for a science museum in Santa Barbara, CA. Tarah participated in a creative writing program in high school which had a lasting impact on her. She hopes to pay it forward and support teenagers in their journey as writers and members of this global community.

Chris Feeney

Chris Feeney is an English Literature and Creative Writing major at Middlebury College. He first encountered Write the World as a high school student, where he shared his stories in public for the first time. He writes often about his experiences working abroad: as a conservation diver in Key Largo and as a glacier guide in Alaska. He believes that fiction can bring joy and clarity to our experiences in a comforting, yet exciting way. As time passes, Chris’s love for writing continues to grow, and as an expert reviewer he seeks to cultivate that same enthusiasm in others.

Eliza Fichter

Eliza is a visual artist, writer and actor who is currently studying Arts in Education at the Harvard Graduate School of Education. She previously worked as an arts educator in Chicago, collaborating with theatre companies and community arts organizations throughout the city. She is currently researching end-of-life education practices and advocacy and is also working at the Harvard Art Museums as a teacher for studio art high school classes. Eliza is thrilled to join Write the World as an Expert Reviewer, and to collaborate with all the amazingly dedicated and curious writers of the world!

Anna Gibbs

Anna is a recent graduate of Harvard College, where she majored in English. She was introduced to Write the World in high school and has since been involved in many different capacities, including Writer, Site Moderator, and now Expert Reviewer. Anna enjoys writing poetry, often about her coastal hometown of Ipswich, MA. Post-graduation, she plans to explore an interest in science writing. She is thrilled to continue working with Write the World in hopes of sharing her excitement for poetry with high school students and remind them that poetry is, indeed, relevant to everyone.

Helen Grant

Helen is currently studying History and Modern Languages at the University of Cambridge, but is based in Paris for her year abroad. She is a former Arts editor of the student newspaper, Varsity, and was the 2018/19 Welfare Officer for Murray Edwards College. Helen joined Write the World back in 2015 as a young writer. She believes that having access to such a platform was instrumental in giving her the confidence to express herself academically and otherwise. Helen is back with us at Write the World as an Expert Reviewer in the hope that she might be a small part of that journey for someone else.

David Keohane

David is a freelance actor, director, and arts administrator currently based in the Mid-Hudson Valley. He is a Theatre Arts graduate from Boston University, where he studied acting, directing, play writing, and theater management. He also holds a Shakespearean acting certificate from the London Academy of Music + Dramatic Art, and has worked extensively in both Boston and Chicago. David joins Write the World as an Expert Reviewer where he hopes to inspire the next generation of change-makers, and galvanize the world with the power of words.

Ajay Nair

Ajay is an Expert Reviewer with Write the World, where he provides feedback and constructive criticism to young writers. A writer from a young age, he has had numerous fiction and non-fiction pieces produced in school and commercial publications. He first encountered Write the World in junior college, and greatly appreciated the platform to share writing and view reader responses. As an expert reviewer, he seeks to pay it forward by helping young writers develop their confidence and proficiency in the same way other reviewers have helped him.

Erin Preston

Erin is an educational researcher and former arts educator who draws upon eight years of teaching visual and digital art. She currently works with the Chicago Humanities Festival and Chicago Arts Partnerships in Education on program evaluation and research. She earned a Master of Education from the Arts in Education program at Harvard Graduate School of Education, where she also researched global competency with the Interdisciplinary and Global Studies team at Project Zero. Erin has worked with WtW as an Expert Reviewer since its early stages in 2013, and enjoys this work because she believes in elevating and supporting the voices of young people.

Scott Sonnenberg

Scott is a writer who is excited to join the expert reviewer team at Write the World. A graduate of Columbia University with majors in Art History and Economics-Mathematics, Scott explores a diverse set of topics in his writing and brings wide-ranging experience to WtW. Eager to mentor young writers, Scott strives to offer them the quality of feedback he wishes he had had when he began to write as a teenager and to encourage them to eagerly embrace the revision process.

Molly St. Clair

Molly is a graduate student at Harvard Graduate School of Education in the Learning and Teaching program. She studied psychology, education, and creative writing at Vassar College as an undergraduate, and has previously worked as an environmental educator, middle school teacher, penguin caretaker, and wildlife researcher. Growing up, Molly was involved in a variety of impactful creative writing communities, and as an expert reviewer for Write the World she enjoys supporting the growth of young writers and their passion for the art of writing.

Alumni Ambassadors

Our Alumni Ambassadors manage Write the World's alumni group. Our alumni group is a place for graduates of Write the World to keep in contact, share ideas, seek inspiration and continue their writing practice in a supportive community of Write the World alums from around the globe. If you'd like to find out more about our alumni group, please contact Anna Williams at anna@writetheworld.com.

Shanti Mathias

Shanti Mathias studies words and people (aka English Literature and Anthropology) in New Zealand, where she spends a lot of time reporting for the student magazine, reading novels when she should be reading academic papers, and running up hills. Shanti loves to work with other young writers in her role as Alumni Ambassador.

Angelina Nguyen

Angelina is a Write the World alumnus and has lived in the beautiful city of Sydney her whole life. She was a Young Writer here on the site from 2015 and since then, have been a Peer Ambassador, Peer Mentor and now one of Write the World's Alumni Ambassadors. Being on Write the World completely transformed her not only as a writer, but as a person. Mentoring the Senior Peer Reviewers team has been an absolute honour for her. After her time on the site as a young writer, she decided to and is currently pursuing a Bachelor of Music (Music Education) in hopes of becoming a teacher someday and still writes today as a part of her university's student newspaper team. She is excited to see all your amazing pieces on the site and looks forward to being continually involved with Write the World!

Community Ambassadors

Community Ambassador contribute to and enhance the Write the World community through writing regular peer reviews for their fellow writers, creating writing prompts, writing example responses to prompts, and more. With their invaluable writing support, Community Ambassadors help shape the culture of the Write the World community.

Ashley Tan - Community Ambassador Mentor

Username: ashleykirantan

Ashley hails from a small but beautiful island-state known as Singapore. She is thrilled to be back as a Community Ambassador mentor to work with the brilliant and inquisitive minds who compose this term’s Community Ambassador team. In her spare time, she enjoys sharing recommendations with her newly minted book club, watching Outlander on Netflix, and planning for a bucket-list Western civilisation tour starting from Athens, across the Baltic region, and ending in Rome. If you have any book or travel recommendations, feel free to let her know!

Freya Abbas

Username: black_and_red_ink

Freya Abbas lives in Toronto, Canada, with her two cats. She is obsessed with historical fiction novels such as Pauline Gedge’s Lord of the Two Lands series set in ancient Egypt and Bernard Cornwell’s The Saxon Stories. Her dream is to be an archaeologist someday, and her passion for the ancient world is the main source of inspiration for her writing. When she isn’t writing, Freya loves drawing and making crafts, such as sewing and embroidery projects. She loves reading and reviewing writing from all kinds of different genres. 

Carissa Ceasor

Username: AbbyMayHampsen

Carissa is an actress, writer, and overall goody two-shoes from El Paso, Texas. When she isn’t competing in Dramatic and Humorous interpretation, she spends her time doodling, de-tangling her yarn stash, and taking blurry photos of her latest project. Although she loves all genres, Carissa has a soft spot for poetry, horror, and anything that belongs on a stage. She’s currently studying computer science and wants to pursue a career in expanding access to education and bringing people closer to their creative sides. She adores her fern, Alecia Leaves.

Muskan Dhiman

Username: Wicked!

Muskan is an eighteen-year-old from northern India who struggles with procrastination and sleeping on time. She could talk about books, history, mythology, and politics for hours. She started writing when she was sixteen and was thrilled to stumble upon a writing community like Write the World. As a community ambassador, she hopes to help her fellow writers find encouragement as well as the confidence to believe in their writing. 

Lee Gaines

Username: crow_e

Lee is a seventeen-year-old writer from Alabama, where it gets so hot that sometimes he is certain he is going to melt. He’s been writing stories since he could dictate them to someone who knew how to write, and he’s recently found solace in writing poetry that’s been described as “a literary throat punch”—but in a good way. He hopes to learn from other writers and strengthen his own writing as a Community Ambassador.

Kiana Lee

Username: BeTheChange18

Kiana Lee is a writer from Australia, the land of kangaroos and koalas. She is passionate about connecting people through words. Traveling the word at a young age opened her eyes and mind to new opportunities and experiences that led her to become the girl that she is today. As a Community Ambassador for Write the World, she hopes to help others connect through the power of words and stories.

Sunny Rahmlow

Username: And_The_Stars_Laughed

Sunny Rahmlow is a fourteen-year-old from the land of dairy and cheese: Wisconsin. She began writing short stories about fantastical worlds when she was little, etching hasty illustrations and captions into pastel journals. Overtime, she has dabbled in numerous genres, spending hours building fictional societies, formatting essays, and writing poetry. Other than writing, Sunny can be found in the kitchen staring through the oven door as she experiments with recipes or running down the paved sidewalks of her neighborhood. She hopes to provide helpful feedback during her time as a Community Ambassador, reviewing and writing in new genres!

Sherry Shu

Username: sherry171

Sherry is a sixteen-year-old Canadian writer, dreamer, and explorer. She started writing from the wee age of four with her hand-drawn Butterfly Island fantasy “series,” and she’s been at it ever since! As school and life got hectic, she started running out of time and motivation to work on her wacky stories—but Write the World brought that drive back. Writing's how she tackles deep societal issues or reflects on strange worldly observations. She's also an avid debater, psychology nerd, off-tune singer, and pro-procrastinator. She can't wait to help youth in honing their wonderful literary craft as a CA!

Acknowledgments

Write the World is so appreciative of everyone who contributes to our global community. We would like to give a special thanks to:

• The team at Echobind

• Our Educator Advisory Board

• Our Student Consultants

• and of course, all our wonderful young writers!