About Us

Our Mission

Write the World is dedicated to improving the writing of high school students through a global online community and guided interactive process. Young writers are empowered to develop their voices, refine their editing skills, and publish on an international platform. Write the World helps students develop the writing strategies and communication tools essential for success in school, career, and life.

Listen to our founder, David Weinstein, talk about Write the World's mission and vision on this Harvard Graduate School of Education EdCast.

Our Team

Founded in 2012 by David Weinstein, Write the World has expanded into a small team of writers, educators and entrepreneurs. We work closely with high school students and teachers and are always looking for new members for our student and teacher advisory boards (see details below). If you are interested in joining our dynamic startup in any capacity, please get in touch!!

David Weinstein

Chief Executive Officer

David

David Weinstein is the founder and CEO of Write the World, which he developed as a Senior Fellow at the Advanced Leadership Initiative at Harvard University. With a passion for education, he has served as a trustee of Boston College, Bryant University, Belmont Hill School, Fessenden School, Harvard Hillel, John F. Kennedy Library Foundation, and the US Supreme Court Historical Association. David was a senior executive and corporate lawyer at Fidelity Investments, managing the human resources, legal, real estate, compliance, security, audit, and accounting functions. David is a Fellow of the American Academy of Arts & Sciences. He is a graduate of Boston University and Boston College Law School.

Clare McFadden

Executive Director

Clare

Clare McFadden manages and oversees the Write the World website, community, and programs. Clare has worked in Arts Education with children, young people, and communities in both Australia and the United States. She is also an author and illustrator. Her first book, "The Flying Orchestra" was awarded the 2011 Children's Book Council of Australia Crichton Award, was selected as one of the "50 Books You Can't Put Down" as part of the Australian Government's Get Reading Campaign, was adapted for the stage as the headlining work at the 'Out of the Box' Festival and listed as one of the Australian Booksellers’ Association's 50 Favourite Children’s Books. Clare was a Teaching Fellow for the Writing Workshop course at Harvard University and is working on her second book. Clare holds a Master's Degree in Education (Arts in Education) from Harvard University. Clare would love to hear from you if you'd like to know more about Write the World, or have suggestions for what you'd like to see on our website clare@writetheworld.com

Steve Mesmer

Chief Operating Officer

Steve

With a deep passion for enhancing student achievement, Steve Mesmer is responsible for overseeing Write the World’s technical operations and support. Starting his education career as a middle and high school teacher, Steve left the classroom captivated by the potential of technology to accelerate student learning. Since then he has served in senior management positions at Computer Curriculum Corporation, Pearson Education, CTB/McGraw-Hill and Questar Assessments, developing highly-effective learning management systems, online state-aligned curriculum, teacher professional development and student assessments used by K-12 educational organizations in the United States and abroad. Steve earned a BA in Marine Biology and Environmental Studies from the University of California at Santa Barbara and his Secondary Teaching Credential from San Francisco State University.

Michelle Billie Fitzpatrick

Chief Learning Strategist

Billie

Billie, a founding member of Write the World, is a writer, educator, and fifteen-year publishing professional. For Write the World, she helped to design the underlying curriculum of the website and continues to work closely with educators, leading professional development and training. She began her career as a writing teacher, helping to launch the Writers in the Schools program (Houston) and has also taught writing at Harvard Graduate School of Education and University of Houston, among other colleges. She also served as an educational consultant to CAST, Inc, where she has designed UDL curriculum and facilitated online professional development courses. As a ghostwriter and book collaborator, she has co-authored over forty books in both fiction and nonfiction. She earned an Ed.M. in Mind, Brain and Education from Harvard Graduate School of Education, a MA in Literature & Creative Writing from the University of Houston, and a BA in English and French from Rice University.

Liza Cochran

Education and Outreach Director

Liza

Liza Cochran stewards the education vision at Write the World, working with community members to develop innovative writing curriculum and programming. A longtime educator and writer, Liza has designed and implemented writing curriculum in high schools, colleges, and community centers across the US, including the Colorado Rocky Mountain School, Emerson College, and Grub Street Writing Center. Liza holds a Bachelor’s degree from Brown University, where she studied writing, education, and environmental science. You can find her work in the Colorado Review, Gettysburg Review, and Fifth Wednesday Journal. Liza would love to hear from you if you’re curious about Write the World, or have suggestions for what you'd like to see on our platform: liza@writetheworld.com

Davina Dukuly

Digital Marketing Director

Davina

As Digital Marketing Director, Davina Dukuly is passionate about making meaningful connections with educators, teachers, and of course, young writers. Davina is committed to making Write the World’s digital space interactive and inviting – where users can connect with like-minded writers from all over the globe. Davina has worked at a New England public relations firm where she demonstrated the power of social media as a marketing tool. She is an active member of the greater Boston arts community, working on films such as “Its Not Funny Anymore” and as Press Liaison at the Independent Film Festival of Boston. A graduate of Bates College, where she studied humanities and social sciences, Davina is dedicated to making the arts accessible to young people in all corners of the world.

Claudine Fernandez

Education Representative - Singapore

Claudine

Claudine Fernandez holds an Arts in Education Master's Degree from the Harvard Graduate School of Education and a B.A. (Honours) Degree in English Literature from the National University of Singapore. She is a former Ministry of Education teacher and has been teaching English and Literature since 2007 in Singapore. She is currently teaching the International Baccalaureate (IB) Program at an independent school. In addition, she writes narrative non-fiction and human-interest stories and is the author of the recently published children’s activity book, “Every Child’s Guide to Write Away”. She is the founder of Artistic Strategies, an educational organization that grooms young writers in Singapore through the arts. As an Education Representative of Write the World, Claudine establishes partnerships with and promotes the writing platform to stakeholders in Singapore.

Eva Wong

Education Representative - Singapore

Eva

Emerging Writer, Former Blogger and Forthcoming Art Historian, Eva Wong Nava combines her love for art with writing personal reviews and anecdotes. She has led docent tours at various institutions and has taught writing using works of art as talking points and inspiration. Her flash fiction is published in various places, including Jellyfish Review and Flash Fiction Magazine. Her art writings have appeared in several independent arts magazines. She is dedicated to making writing an accessible activity for high school students.

Eva has a degree in English Literature and Language from the University of Hull, a post-Graduate Certificate in Education from the Institute of Education, London, and an Art Writing qualification from Sotheby’s Institute of Art. She is currently completing her dissertation for a Masters in Art History with the Open University, United Kingdom, on Byzantine art and its relationship with the Italian Renaissance. She plans to write about the Renaissance in the future.

As an Education Representative at Write the World, Eva acts as the liaison between Write the World and Singaporean schools—offering young writers opportunities to connect to a wider network of writers. For more information on Write the World, contact Eva at: eva@writetheworld.com

Michael Lydon

Writer, Musician and Write the World Columnist

Lyndon

Michael Lydon is a writer and musician who lives in New York City. Author of many books, among them Rock Folk, Boogie Lightning, Ray Charles: Man and Music, and Writing and Life. A founding editor of Rolling Stone, Lydon has written for many periodicals as well, the Atlantic Monthly, New York Times, and Village Voice.

He is also a songwriter and playwright and, with Ellen Mandel, has composed an opera, Passion in Pigskin. A Yale graduate, Lydon is a member of ASCAP, AFofM local 802, and on the faculty of St. John’s University.

Emily Reeves

Junior Reviewer and Editor

Emily

Emily Reeves is a junior at the University of Tennessee at Chattanooga, pursuing a Marketing degree. As an ex-English major, she still enjoys reading and writing, and you'll often find her doing one of the two, while sipping a cup of tea. In her role as Vice President of her university's writing society, Emily works to bring authors onto campus and into the wider community, in an effort to support the local literary community. She is an advocate for the protection of creative works, which has sparked her interest in intellectual property law. Emily first came to Write the World as a student writer, and she is committed to ensuring other young writers enjoy and gain insight from the community, just like she did!

Adam McGowan

Chief Technology Officer

Adam

Adam McGowan leverages web and mobile technologies to translate our team's vision into effective and engaging online writing tools. Adam joined Write the World with a wealth of prior experience. In 2008, he founded Firefield as an incubator and technology consultancy. From in-house startups to third-party ventures, Adam has advised entrepreneurs and enterprises by leveraging his diverse background in product, software, management, fundraising, and finance. He fosters innovation by helping connect inspired ideas with the resources they need. Along with his team at Firefield, Adam advances ventures at various stages via technical and strategic consulting and software development. Whether acting as a collaborator, consultant or connector, Adam is always looking to help like-minded entrepreneurs in any way he can.

Teacher Advisory Board

We work with a group of teachers from around the world to ensure that the website is responsive to the needs and ideas of educators. Teachers give regular feedback on the site, and are a most valued part of the Write the World community. Please get in touch with us if you are an educator interested in joining the Advisory Board: clare@writetheworld.com

Student Consultants

Young writers have played an essential role in shaping our ever-evolving website. Clare and Liza work with a group of students who offer regular feedback on prompts, design, and future Write the World offerings. If you're interested in joining our fabulous team of Student Consultants, we'd love to hear from you: liza@writetheworld.com or clare@writetheworld.com

Peer Review Ambassadors

Four times a year, we recruit a new team of Peer Review Ambassadors to offer regular reviews on the site. Our Ambassadors not only offer their peers invaluable writing support, but help shape the culture of feedback within the entire community. Please let us know if you’re interested in becoming a Peer Review Ambassador: liza@writetheworld.com

Meet our current ambassadors:

Swasti
Swasti Jain

Hello! I am Swasti. I'm an avid writer and high school junior at John P. Stevens in the U.S. I thrive on developing connections to a wider writing community. I seek to be inspired by my peers–whether it be in the classroom or working with other organizations. My various literary endeavors have given me the experience necessary to help promote the value of feedback and peer review. I hope my work as a Peer Review Ambassador will help my fellow writers grow in the new year. My hobbies include tennis, writing, watching historical fiction films, and yoga.

Vani
Vani Dadoo

My name is Vani, I'm 14 years old, and I'm from Mumbai, India. I have loved reading and gazing at the sky for as long as I remember. I’ve also always been interested in writing and poetry. In my free time, I’m either studying or writing poetry. My hobbies include travelling, badminton, and sipping hot chocolate (especially when my glasses fog up!). Posting on Write the World has really boosted my confidence and I hope that through my reviews I can bestow that feeling on my fellow writers.

Phoebe
Phoebe Lease

Phoebe Lease is a recent high school graduate from North Carolina and can't wait to attend college in Massachusetts this fall. She found Write the World early on in high school and has loved it ever since. She enjoys being a student reviewer and gaining inspiration from her peers. Her other hobbies include thrift shopping, reading music reviews, and trying to make 80's fashion trends cool again. She is excited for a summer of reviewing great pieces on WTW!

Tj
TJ Gill

My name is TJ Gill, and I am a sophomore at The John Cooper School in The Woodlands, Texas. I have always been interested in writing and have played with poetry ever since middle school, but it wasn’t until the beginning of this school year that I finally gained enough confidence to start sharing my pieces with others. For this reason, I joined the Creative Writing 1 class at my school and plan to enroll in the Creative Writing 2 course next year. I also dedicate time to my school’s literary magazine, school musical, Student Diversity Committee, and annual Habitat for Humanity project.

Angelina
Angelina Nguyen

Greetings, everyone! I am Angelina Nguyen and I'm from Sydney, Australia. My goal is to be in the music industry and pursue a singing career. My greatest joy from the past year is being a writer on this forum, sharing some of my short stories, poems and philosophies with the community. As a member of the Peer Review Ambassador team, I have grown to love reading other people's work even more. I’be also been able to see how they influence the way I write myself. I hope my reviews will be of help to everyone in some way. Happy writing!

Acknowledgments

Write the World is so appreciative of everyone who contributes to our global community. We would like to give a special thanks to:

• Adam and Jeremy and the rest of the team at Firefield

• Our Educator Advisory Board

• Our Student Consultants

• and of course, all our wonderful young writers!