About Us

Our Mission

Write the World is dedicated to improving the writing of high school students through a global online community and guided interactive process. Young writers are empowered to develop their voices, refine their editing skills, and publish on an international platform. Write the World helps students develop the writing strategies and communication tools essential for success in school, career, and life.

Watch our founder, David Weinstein, talk about the ways Write the World empowers young writers on this Harvard Advanced Leadership Initiative video.

Our Team

Founded in 2012 by David Weinstein, Write the World has expanded into a small team of writers, educators and entrepreneurs. We work closely with high school students and teachers and are always looking for new members for our student and teacher advisory boards (see details below). If you are interested in joining our dynamic startup in any capacity, please get in touch!!

David Weinstein

Chief Executive Officer

David Weinstein is the founder and CEO of Write the World, which he developed as a Senior Fellow at the Advanced Leadership Initiative at Harvard University. With a passion for education, he has served as a trustee of Boston College, Bryant University, Belmont Hill School, Fessenden School, Harvard Hillel, John F. Kennedy Library Foundation, and the US Supreme Court Historical Association. David was a senior executive and corporate lawyer at Fidelity Investments, managing the human resources, legal, real estate, compliance, security, audit, and accounting functions. David is a Fellow of the American Academy of Arts & Sciences. He is a graduate of Boston University and Boston College Law School.

Clare McFadden

Executive Director

Clare McFadden manages and oversees the Write the World website, community, and programs. Clare has worked in Arts Education with children, young people, and communities in both Australia and the United States. She is also an author and illustrator. Her first book, "The Flying Orchestra" was awarded the 2011 Children's Book Council of Australia Crichton Award, was selected as one of the "50 Books You Can't Put Down" as part of the Australian Government's Get Reading Campaign, was adapted for the stage as the headlining work at the 'Out of the Box' Festival and listed as one of the Australian Booksellers’ Association's 50 Favourite Children’s Books. Clare was a Teaching Fellow for the Writing Workshop course at Harvard University and is working on her second book. Clare holds a Master's Degree in Education (Arts in Education) from Harvard University. Clare would love to hear from you if you'd like to know more about Write the World, or have suggestions for what you'd like to see on our website clare@writetheworld.com

Steve Mesmer

Chief Operating Officer

With a deep passion for enhancing student achievement, Steve Mesmer is responsible for overseeing Write the World’s technical operations and support. Starting his education career as a middle and high school teacher, Steve left the classroom captivated by the potential of technology to accelerate student learning. Since then he has served in senior management positions at Computer Curriculum Corporation, Pearson Education, CTB/McGraw-Hill and Questar Assessments, developing highly-effective learning management systems, online state-aligned curriculum, teacher professional development and student assessments used by K-12 educational organizations in the United States and abroad. Steve earned a BA in Marine Biology and Environmental Studies from the University of California at Santa Barbara and his Secondary Teaching Credential from San Francisco State University.

Clare McMillan

Director of Sales

Clare McMillan oversees Write the World’s business development efforts. Clare started her career as a middle and high school teacher and has nearly 15 years of experience working as an educational sales and marketing professional for organizations such as Pearson and Follett, where she oversaw global sales education efforts and sold educational management, STEM, SEL, school improvement and professional development solutions. Clare is deeply interested in the writing process, specifically how writing and literature shape thinking and cultivate empathy. She is passionate about programming that empowers students to foster their unique interests and discover how they might contribute meaningfully to our world. In her spare time, you will find Clare spending time with her family and writing children’s stories about meatballs, Sasquatches and other fascinating characters you never knew existed.

If you are interested in learning more about Write the World’s programming and how you can empower your students to write well and publish on a global platform, please contact Clare at: mcmillan.clare@writetheworld.com

Michelle Billie Fitzpatrick

Chief Learning Strategist

Billie, a founding member of Write the World, is a writer, educator, and fifteen-year publishing professional. For Write the World, she helped to design the underlying curriculum of the website and continues to work closely with educators, leading professional development and training. She began her career as a writing teacher, helping to launch the Writers in the Schools program (Houston) and has also taught writing at Harvard Graduate School of Education and University of Houston, among other colleges. She also served as an educational consultant to CAST, Inc, where she has designed UDL curriculum and facilitated online professional development courses. As a ghostwriter and book collaborator, she has co-authored over forty books in both fiction and nonfiction. She earned an Ed.M. in Mind, Brain and Education from Harvard Graduate School of Education, a MA in Literature & Creative Writing from the University of Houston, and a BA in English and French from Rice University.

Listen as Billie describes the many benefits of writing in an online community in Episode Seven of Turnitin’s “The Written Word.”

Liza Cochran

Education and Outreach Director

Liza Cochran stewards the education vision at Write the World, working with community members to develop innovative writing curriculum and programming. A longtime educator and writer, Liza has designed and implemented writing curriculum in high schools, colleges, and community centers across the US, including the Colorado Rocky Mountain School, Emerson College, and Grub Street Writing Center. Liza holds a Bachelor’s degree from Brown University, where she studied writing, education, and environmental science, and a Masters in Fine Arts degree from Emerson College, where she studied creative writing. You can find her work in the Colorado Review, Gettysburg Review, and Fifth Wednesday Journal. Liza would love to hear from you if you’re curious about Write the World, or have suggestions for what you'd like to see on our platform: liza@writetheworld.com

Davina Dukuly

Digital Marketing Director

As Digital Marketing Director, Davina Dukuly is passionate about making meaningful connections with educators, teachers, and of course, young writers. Davina is committed to making Write the World’s digital space interactive and inviting – where users can connect with like-minded writers from all over the globe. Davina has worked at a New England public relations firm where she demonstrated the power of social media as a marketing tool. She is an active member of the greater Boston arts community, working on films such as “Its Not Funny Anymore” and as Press Liaison at the Independent Film Festival of Boston. A graduate of Bates College, where she studied humanities and social sciences, Davina is dedicated to making the arts accessible to young people in all corners of the world.

Anna Williams

Community Engagement Director

Anna Williams helps cultivate and support the Write the World community of young writers, alumni, and teachers. Before joining Write the World, Anna worked at the Boston Public Library as a key member of the marketing and communications team and served as the editorial assistant at the New England Quarterly. She earned a BA in Creative Writing and History from the University of Wisconsin-Madison and a MA in Public History from Northeastern University. She is passionate about reading, writing, and the arts. Anna would love to hear from you! If you'd like to know more about Write the World or have suggestions for what you'd like to see on our website, email anna@writetheworld.com

Brittany Collins

Teaching and Learning Coordinator

Brittany creates and supports educational programming and publications at Write the World while working directly with students, teachers, and partners to support their use of the platform. She holds a B.A. in English and Education from the University of Massachusetts, Amherst, and has published over 20 articles in the genres of creative nonfiction and education journalism, gaining publicity from Arianna Huffington, Gloria Steinem, Ms. Magazine, and the New York Times. Brittany is passionate about Writing Across the Curriculum (WAC), inquiry-based learning, and STEM to STE(A)M arts integration, publishing interactive, story-based curricula in partnership with PBS Learning Media grounded in the latter.

To share your thoughts or questions about Write the World, you can reach Brittany at: brittany@writetheworld.com. She would love to hear from you!

Melissa De Silva

Education Ambassador - Singapore

Melissa promotes awareness about Write the World in Singapore, seeking to form partnerships and connections with like-minded people and organizations who are passionate about young writers and their work. Her book of essays, Others’ is Not a Race, a genre-blending collection that explores Eurasian culture and identity, won the 2018 Singapore Literature Prize in the English Creative Nonfiction category. In her 15 years in Singapore’s publishing industry, she has worked as a journalist and an editor. Her Bachelor's degree in English Literature is from the National University of Singapore. Melissa is currently working on a historical fiction novel. She would love to hear from you if you'd like to know more about Write the World, or if you would like to explore ways of working together. Melissa can be contacted at: melissa@writetheworld.com

Eunice Tan

Education Ambassador - Singapore

Eunice started out teaching Literature and English in Singapore before moving to Japan to teach English as a Foreign Language. In Japan, she developed an interest in how second languages are acquired and how English is perceived globally. Now back in Singapore, she teaches academic writing at Nanyang Technological University and assists Singapore’s teachers in using Write the World’s platform and resources in their lessons. Eunice has a Bachelor’s in Literature from the National University of Singapore and a Master of Arts in Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages (TESOL) from the University of Manchester. She enjoys writing about education and living in different cultures. You can reach Eunice at: eunice@writetheworld.com

Lori Pelliccia

Site Reviewer and Moderator

Lori enjoys sharing her lifelong love for reading and writing with students and young writers. As a middle school and high school English teacher, Lori incorporates creative writing into her classes and always enjoys reading books that her students recommend. After teaching for nine years in independent schools in Virginia and Massachusetts, Lori continues to teach online today. She holds a Bachelor of Science in Secondary Education for English from The Pennsylvania State University, and a Master of Fine Arts in Writing for Children and Young Adults from Vermont College of Fine Arts. At Write the World, Lori loves seeing students from all over the world share their writing and their ideas within a supportive environment.

Lisa Hiton

Editorial Associate

Lisa Hiton holds an MFA in Poetry from Boston University and a M.Ed. in Arts in Education from Harvard University. She is an Editorial Associate at Write the World, where she writes two monthly blogs and provides expert reviews for student work. Her blog, "Reading Like a Writer", offers readers a glance at craft books in various writing genres with reading and writing prompts to pair. "The Write Place" helps young and emerging writers engage in habits of mind and heart that lend themselves to a writer's life.

Michael Lydon

Writer, Musician and Write the World Columnist

Michael Lydon is a writer and musician who lives in New York City. Author of many books, among them Rock Folk, Boogie Lightning, Ray Charles: Man and Music, and Writing and Life. A founding editor of Rolling Stone, Lydon has written for many periodicals as well, the Atlantic Monthly, New York Times, and Village Voice.

He is also a songwriter and playwright and, with Ellen Mandel, has composed an opera, Passion in Pigskin. A Yale graduate, Lydon is a member of ASCAP, AFofM local 802, and on the faculty of St. John’s University.

Teacher Advisory Board

We work with a group of teachers from around the world to ensure that the website is responsive to the needs and ideas of educators. Teachers give regular feedback on the site, and are a most valued part of the Write the World community. Please get in touch with us if you are an educator interested in joining the Advisory Board: clare@writetheworld.com

Student Consultants

Young writers have played an essential role in shaping our ever-evolving website. Clare and Liza work with a group of students who offer regular feedback on prompts, design, and future Write the World offerings. If you're interested in joining our fabulous team of Student Consultants, we'd love to hear from you: liza@writetheworld.com or clare@writetheworld.com

Expert Reviewers

Our Expert Reviewers are a group of educators and writers who provide feedback on our young writers' monthly competition drafts. This personalized feedback gives our young writers the opportunity to revise and polish their draft before their final submission. Expert Reviewers also assist with the competition shortlisting process. If you are interested in finding out more about Expert Review at Write the World, please contact liza@writetheworld.com

Tarah Connolly

Tarah has always had a propensity for words and for working together, so it is a natural fit for her to support the Write the World community as an Expert Reviewer. After earning degrees from UC Berkeley in Linguistics and Psychology, Tarah began her career in museum education, and currently, she is the primary curriculum writer for a science museum in Santa Barbara, CA. Tarah participated in a creative writing program in high school which had a lasting impact on her. She hopes to pay it forward and support teenagers in their journey as writers and members of this global community.

Chris Feeney

Chris Feeney is an English Literature and Creative Writing major at Middlebury College. He first encountered Write the World as a high school student, where he shared his stories in public for the first time. He writes often about his experiences working abroad: as a conservation diver in Key Largo and as a glacier guide in Alaska. He believes that fiction can bring joy and clarity to our experiences in a comforting, yet exciting way. As time passes, Chris’s love for writing continues to grow, and as an expert reviewer he seeks to cultivate that same enthusiasm in others.

Eliza Fichter

Eliza is a visual artist, writer and actor who is currently studying Arts in Education at the Harvard Graduate School of Education. She previously worked as an arts educator in Chicago, collaborating with theatre companies and community arts organizations throughout the city. She is currently researching end-of-life education practices and advocacy and is also working at the Harvard Art Museums as a teacher for studio art high school classes. Eliza is thrilled to join Write the World as an Expert Reviewer, and to collaborate with all the amazingly dedicated and curious writers of the world!

Anna Gibbs

Anna is a recent graduate of Harvard College, where she majored in English. She was introduced to Write the World in high school and has since been involved in many different capacities, including Writer, Site Moderator, and now Expert Reviewer. Anna enjoys writing poetry, often about her coastal hometown of Ipswich, MA. Post-graduation, she plans to explore an interest in science writing. She is thrilled to continue working with Write the World in hopes of sharing her excitement for poetry with high school students and remind them that poetry is, indeed, relevant to everyone.

Helen Grant

Helen is currently studying History and Modern Languages at the University of Cambridge, but is based in Paris for her year abroad. She is a former Arts editor of the student newspaper, Varsity, and was the 2018/19 Welfare Officer for Murray Edwards College. Helen joined Write the World back in 2015 as a young writer. She believes that having access to such a platform was instrumental in giving her the confidence to express herself academically and otherwise. Helen is back with us at Write the World as an Expert Reviewer in the hope that she might be a small part of that journey for someone else.

Ajay Nair

Ajay is an Expert Reviewer with Write the World, where he provides feedback and constructive criticism to young writers. A writer from a young age, he has had numerous fiction and non-fiction pieces produced in school and commercial publications. He first encountered Write the World in junior college, and greatly appreciated the platform to share writing and view reader responses. As an expert reviewer, he seeks to pay it forward by helping young writers develop their confidence and proficiency in the same way other reviewers have helped him.

Erin Preston

Erin is an educational researcher and former arts educator who draws upon eight years of teaching visual and digital art. She currently works with the Chicago Humanities Festival and Chicago Arts Partnerships in Education on program evaluation and research. She earned a Master of Education from the Arts in Education program at Harvard Graduate School of Education, where she also researched global competency with the Interdisciplinary and Global Studies team at Project Zero. Erin has worked with WtW as an Expert Reviewer since its early stages in 2013, and enjoys this work because she believes in elevating and supporting the voices of young people.

Scott Sonnenberg

Scott is a writer who is excited to join the expert reviewer team at Write the World. A graduate of Columbia University with majors in Art History and Economics-Mathematics, Scott explores a diverse set of topics in his writing and brings wide-ranging experience to WtW. Eager to mentor young writers, Scott strives to offer them the quality of feedback he wishes he had had when he began to write as a teenager and to encourage them to eagerly embrace the revision process.

Molly St. Clair

Molly is a graduate student at Harvard Graduate School of Education in the Learning and Teaching program. She studied psychology, education, and creative writing at Vassar College as an undergraduate, and has previously worked as an environmental educator, middle school teacher, penguin caretaker, and wildlife researcher. Growing up, Molly was involved in a variety of impactful creative writing communities, and as an expert reviewer for Write the World she enjoys supporting the growth of young writers and their passion for the art of writing.

Alumni Ambassadors

Our Alumni Ambassadors manage Write the World's alumni group. Our alumni group is a place for graduates of Write the World to keep in contact, share ideas, seek inspiration and continue their writing practice in a supportive community of Write the World alums from around the globe. If you'd like to find out more about our alumni group, please contact Anna Williams at anna@writetheworld.com.

Shanti Mathias

Shanti Mathias studies words and people (aka English Literature and Anthropology) in New Zealand, where she spends a lot of time reporting for the student magazine, reading novels when she should be reading academic papers, and running up hills. Shanti loves to work with other young writers in her role as Alumni Ambassador.

Angelina Nguyen

Angelina is a Write the World alumnus and has lived in the beautiful city of Sydney her whole life. She was a Young Writer here on the site from 2015 and since then, have been a Peer Ambassador, Peer Mentor and now one of Write the World's Alumni Ambassadors. Being on Write the World completely transformed her not only as a writer, but as a person. Mentoring the Senior Peer Reviewers team has been an absolute honour for her. After her time on the site as a young writer, she decided to and is currently pursuing a Bachelor of Music (Music Education) in hopes of becoming a teacher someday and still writes today as a part of her university's student newspaper team. She is excited to see all your amazing pieces on the site and looks forward to being continually involved with Write the World!

Community Ambassadors

Community Ambassador contribute to and enhance the Write the World community through writing regular peer reviews for their fellow writers, creating writing prompts, writing example responses to prompts, and more. With their invaluable writing support, Community Ambassadors help shape the culture of the Write the World community.

Ashley Tan - Peer Ambassador Mentor

Username: ashleykirantan

Hi there! My name is Ashley, and I hail from a small but beautiful island-state known as Singapore. I'm thrilled to be back as a Community Ambassador Mentor to work with the new batch of Ambassadors on some of the brilliant work published on Write the World. In my spare time, I enjoy hunting for new pieces of literature at my local bookstore, working on an online history and politics publication that I co-founded called The Timeless Compass, and planning for a bucket-list tour of Western civilization starting from Athens, across the Baltic region, and ending in Rome. If you have any recommendations on how to start planning for this trip (or joining me on it), please let me know!

Amalia Costa

Username: Amalia

Amalia is eighteen years old and lives in the UK. She loves being pushed out of her comfort zone by exploring different genres and forms of writing. Her dream is to write a work in every form, from novel to play to poetry collection. As a Community Ambassador, Amalia hopes to encourage other writers to develop their ideas with passion and self-belief, as well as to think outside the box and try new ways of thinking when it comes to writing.

Kaitlyn Flanagan

Username: Kaitlyn Reese

Kaitlyn Flanagan is a fourteen-year-old from the warm and breezy suburbs of Southern California. She discovered her passion for writing at a young age when she began scribbling stories about fairies, talking stuffed animals, and other nonsensical figments of her imagination. From fantasy to coming-of-age stories, she loves to explore many different genres and to huddle up in her room and work on her current novel. She hopes to foster a love of writing in the community as she takes on the position as a Community Ambassador.

Enling Liao

Username: stravelbach

Both as reader and writer, Enling is fascinated by the relationship between music and writing and the way new perspectives on the rhythm of words can influence written expression. As a new Write the World Community Ambassador, she hopes to help raise some thought-provoking discussions and explore different ways to communicate about writing.

Anna O’Connor

Username: annaocxo

Anna is eighteen years old and from the countryside in Ireland. She's been writing since she knew what words were and all her stories used to begin with "One time, little time." Anna was involved in a programm called The Young Playwrights in 2018, and there she learned a lot about being a writer. In the last few months, Anna has finally gotten the confidence to share her writing and to follow her dreams of becoming a writer. As a Community Ambassador, she hopes to help other people do the same!

Ruth Port

Username: Ruthh

Ruth is a sixteen year old from the quaint English south. Her writing originated as Moshi Monsters fanfiction and has blossomed into a cabaret of everything from essays to poetry. She hopes to write for the rest of her life and inspire people to love literature, because words have the capacity to change the world. She was very excited to stumble upon Write the World and is extremely thrilled to become a Community Ambassador. Her hopes include writing some fun prompts for people to try and encouraging a close and friendly community.

Vivian Zhi

Username: FizzyBaguette

Vivian Zhi is a sixteen-year-old writer from Canada, the land of maple syrup and mounties. She started writing stories about her stuffed toys as a young child with too much time on her hands. Now, she is trying to squeeze time from her day to write short stories and finish a novel she started during NaNoWriMo this year. For her, writing is a platform to express her ideas, albeit rather absurd ones. Her sleep schedule has been wrecked beyond repair due to school and procrastination. Please send help.

Acknowledgments

Write the World is so appreciative of everyone who contributes to our global community. We would like to give a special thanks to:

• The team at Echobind

• Our Educator Advisory Board

• Our Student Consultants

• and of course, all our wonderful young writers!